Fargo's food truck plan on hold due, in part, to restaurants' concerns
FARGO—A proposed plan to allow food trucks to park along public streets and sidewalks downtown has been put on hold by city leaders Monday, July 2, for a couple of weeks to work out the kinks.
Planning Director Nicole Crutchfield asked for the delay because she said she's gotten a lot of comments from the public both for and against and needs time to review the comments to see if changes to the plan are needed.
City commissioners voted 5-0 to delay the plan.
Food trucks are already allowed on private property, and some already operate downtown.
Joe Burgum, a social activist who runs what he calls a "food truck park" at 409 Broadway N., said he hopes the city will have a policy soon so it can be tested. He said he hopes the city will eventually extend the policy to allow food trucks on public streets in other parts of town.
Randy Thorson, who owns several downtown restaurants, said he's worried the city will allow too many food trucks near his business. He supports the delay because it would give him more time to understand the implications.
His partner Warren Ackley told The Forum earlier that food trucks parking across the street could take away business from existing restaurants that have already invested in patio space.