West Fargo staff reports
Thursday, Nov. 15 Volleyball North Dakota Class A and B state tournaments at Minot Friday, Nov. 16 North Dakota Class A and B state tournaments at Minot Saturday, Nov. 17 Wrestling West Fargo Sheyenne at Fargo North, 1 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20 Girls hockey Devils Lake at West Fargo, 7 p.m.
Special Events Picture Book Month Storytime: 6 p.m. Thursday. A special evening storytime. Read a selection of fun picture books and create a special make-and-take craft project. Program is free and open to all ages. No registration is required.
Senior adults are welcome to join others at any listed locations to socialize and remain physically active. Meals served 11:45 a.m. Monday through Friday at Faith Lutheran Church and West Fargo High Rise. Sign up by calling (701) 356-2047 at least 24 hours prior. $4 donation, if able. Free walking track Monday through Friday at Rustad Recreation Center. Pickleball 8-11 a.m. Senior Steppers (Senior Walking Program) 8:30-10:30 a.m. Monday through Thursday. Thursday, Nov. 15 8:45 and 10 a.m. Bone Builders at Veterans Memorial Arena
Becky and Christopher Mace, West Fargo, are the parents of a girl, Hannah Jana, born on Nov. 6, 2018, at Essentia Health. She weighed 7 pounds, 10 ounces. Jessica and Brent Wayne, West Fargo, are the parents of a girl, Nora Luna, born on Nov. 5, 2018, at Essentia Health. She weighed 8 pounds, 3 ounces, and was 21 1/2 inches long. Kendra and Jeremy Stensland, West Fargo, are the parents of a twin boys, Cooper and Conner, born Nov. 7, 2018, at Essentia Health. Cooper weighed 6 pounds, 9 ounces, and was 20 inches long. Conner weighed 7 pounds and was 19 1/2 inches long.
A ribbon cutting was held at Fourth Avenue and Sheyenne Street to celebrate the $3.2 million reconstruction of Sheyenne Street from Main Avenue to Interstate 94. Federal funds paid for 80 percent of the project with the other 20 percent paid locally.
Tuesday, Nov. 6 Volleyball West Fargo def. West Fargo Sheyenne 20-25, 25-18, 25-22, 25-20 (WF: Halle Erickson: 16 kills; Mariah Schatz: 14 kills; Erin Binstock: 10 kills; Katelyn Tveito: 29 assists; Maddie Waldera: 22 digs) Friday, Nov. 9 Volleyball West Fargo def. Fargo Shanley 23-25, 14-25, 25-23, 20-25, 15-12 (Mariah Schatz: 19 kills, Halle Erickson: 17 kills, 27 assists; Maddie Waldera: 28 digs; Kate Tveito: 20 assists).
Hundreds of youth swimmers were present for the Heidi Hulbert Rowe Olympic Swim Clinic held in West Fargo Sunday, Nov. 11. The event, which took place at the Hulbert Aquatic Center, featured a pair of Olympic gold medalists in Josh Davis and Caeleb Dressel, who conducted day-long clinics, while also delivering inspirational speeches and signing autographs for attendees. Dressel said he hoped those in attendance left believing they could realistically aspire to accomplish great things in the pool.
West Fargo Sheyenne has a new head baseball coach. Ryan Bodell will become the second varsity coach in school history, the school announced in a release last Thursday. A former college baseball player, Bodell is currently employed as a math teacher at Sheyenne. He has worked as an assistant baseball coach at Sheyenne and a head coach at the American Legion level. He is also currently employed as an assistant for the Mustang football team.
Special Events Movie of the Month: "Goodbye Christopher Robin": 1 p.m. Thursday. After serving in World War I, classic children's author A.A Milne writes stories about his son Christopher and his beloved toy animal friends, only to become an international success with lasting fame. PG. Free admission and popcorn. Make a Card for a Veteran: 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Thank local heroes and create cards for Veterans. The cards will be given to the Veterans Hospital in Fargo in honor of the Veterans Day holiday. No registration is required
At the recent North Dakota School Boards Association's Annual Convention, delegates re- elected West Fargo School Board President Patti Stedman as Southeast Director on the association's board of directors. Patti will be serving with President Holly Stromsodt, Finley-Sharon; Vice President Karl Lembke, Bismarck; Past President Jim Johnson, Fargo; Northwest Director Kim Bernstein, Bottineau; Northeast Director Steve Halldorson, Devils Lake; and Southwest Director Lucas Greff, Mott/Regent.